ICOMOS Canada is the Canadian National Committee of the International Council on Monuments and Sites. As such, it is the focus of international cultural resources exchange in Canada sharing preservation information and expertise worldwide.
ICOMOS Canada is the leading national authority on conservation philosophy and practice.
ICOMOS Canada seeks to raise the quality of conservation care provided to our built cultural heritage at national and international levels:
- by defining appropriate principles and standards of care for conservation;
- by promoting needed changes in conservation policy or programmes, on the basis of ongoing review of relevant policies / programmes;
- by supporting scientific exchanges and forums in the heritage conservation field, and encouraging participation in these forums;
- by encouraging scientific research in the conservation field;
- by ensuring that Canadian practitioners benefit from conservation lessons gained elsewhere;
- by ensuring that Canadian know-how and approaches are widely communicated to those in other jurisdictions who might profit from that knowledge;
- by increasing public awareness of appropriate methods and approaches for the conservation and care of our built cultural heritage;
- by developing links with organizations whose activities influence the well-being of our built cultural heritage.
ICOMOS will hold its next General Assembly on November 10-14, 2014, in Florence, Italy.
The theme of the Scientific Symposium is "Heritage and Landscape as Human Values."
Abstracts (maximum one page) are due by January 31, 2014.
We encourage all members of ICOMOS Canada to consider contributions to this topic and its five sub-themes.
To download the call for papers from the ICOMOS General Assembly webpage, click here.
This is also the time to make sure you have your 2014 membership in place.
To renew your membership, you can download the membership form by clicking here.
Julian Smith (Ontario), President
Robert Buckle (Alberta), Vice-President — Strategic Planning
Michael McClelland, Vice-President — Membership and Funding
Christophe Rivet (Nova Scotia), Vice-President — Scientific Committee
Gerry McGeough (British Columbia), Treasurer
Danielle Hamelin (Ontario), Secretary
Claudine Déom (Quebec)
Georges Drolet (Quebec)
Patricia Glanville (Saskatchewan)
Barbara Hogan (Yukon)
Allan Killin (Ontario)
Nancy Oakley (Yukon)
Ève Wertheimer (Quebec)