ICOMOS Canada has invited the national cultural heritage organizations across Canada to form the Canadian Coalition for Cultural Heritage in Ukrainian (CCCHU). Since the invasion of Ukraine by Russian forces on Tuesday, February 24th, 2022, cultural heritage – as monuments, sites, archives, objects, sacred spaces, and collected traditions – has been under threat, as collateral damage and deliberate targeting.
The Coalition will spearhead the efforts of both Canadian civil society and institutions dedicated to cultural heritage to provide assistance to organizations and institutions in Ukraine by:
- Collecting and delivering funds and specialized materials such as fire extinguishers
- Coordinating volunteer efforts in relation to cultural heritage
- Centralizing the collection of funds and distribution to recognized Ukrainian organizations and institutions
- Coordinating with Ukrainian organizations and institutions the distribution of resources
- Leveraging our networks of experts and professionals in Canada and around the world to offer protection, preservation, and conservation expertise
- Communicating to Canadians on the state of impacts and safeguarding efforts
- Supporting Ukrainian cultural defenders from Canada
Some of the members of the Coalition include:
- The Canadian Association of Conservators for Cultural Heritage (CAC)
- The Canadian Association of Heritage Professionals (CAHP)
- The Canadian Committee of the International Council on Museums (ICOM Canada)
- The Canadian Commission for UNESCO
Donations are tax-deductible.