As an advisory body for the UNESCO World Heritage Convention ICOMOS has a responsibility to provide an expert opinion on applications for world heritage status. As an extension of this responsibility, as a National Committee, ICOMOS Canada is now excited to announce that it has formalized its Terms of Reference for an Advisory Committee on World Heritage.
ICOMOS Canada is now accepting applications for members.
Membership is open to all members in good standing of ICOMOS Canada, however, only expert members may contribute to formal decision-making. Expert members must clearly demonstrate their practical and/or postgraduate academic experience in World Heritage matters. Emerging professionals and other members interested in World Heritage are nevertheless encouraged to apply.
Appointment to the Committee will be for a renewable three-year term and will be appointed by the ICOMOS Canada Board of Directors
All members are required to follow ICOMOS guidelines regarding ethics and possible conflicts of interest linked to their participation in the Committee, especially when offering advice, support, or training on World Heritage matters. Members will also be required to sign a confidentiality agreement for all activities related to the Advisory Committee on World Heritage.
ABOUT THE COMMITTEE
The objectives of the Advisory Committee on World Heritage are to:
- Provide information and support for Canadian institutions and/or citizens with an interest in World Heritage, especially those with an interest in inscribed sites or proposed sites for the tentative list;
- Respond to information requests from the ICOMOS Secretariat on State of Conservation reports, Nomination files, or any other matters related to World Heritage; and
- Support ICOMOS Canada in its decisions regarding World Heritage matters, and for the elaboration of any document related to World Heritage.
The Committee will accomplish these objectives by:
- Advising the ICOMOS Canada Board of Directors on the site’s relationship with its State Party;
- Providing expert perspectives on World Heritage matters in Canada;
- Providing information, training, and expert advice and counsel; and
- Organizing panel discussions, presentations, and other events related to World Heritage in Canada
The Chair of the Committee will be one of the expert members appointed by the ICOMOS Canada Board of Directors whose term will be three years and renewable for up to three terms. The Vice-Chair will be the President of ICOMOS Canada.
SUBMISSION OF CANDIDACY
We ask that any nominations be submitted to ICOMOS Canada at email@example.com by October 7, 2022. Applications past this deadline may be considered at a later date.
Applications should include a brief letter of interest explaining why you are interested. If you are applying as an expert member, please include your CV.
For more information on the Advisory Committee on World Heritage please refer to the Terms of Reference.