ICOMOS Canada welcomes Canada’s updated Tentative List of World Heritage Sites!
On December 20, 2017, the Minister of the Environment and Climate Change and Minister responsible for Parks Canada, Catherine McKenna, announced the addition of eight new sites to Canada’s Tentative List:
- Hecate Strait and Queen Charlotte Sound Glass Sponge Reefs, British Columbia
- Stein Valley, British Columbia
- Wanuskewin Heritage Park, Saskatchewan
- Anticosti Island, Québec
- Heart’s Content Cable Station Provincial Historic Site, Newfoundland and Labrador
- Qajartalik, Nunavik
- Sirmilik National Park and the proposed Tallurutiup Imanga National Marine Conservation Area, Nunavut
- Yukon Ice Patches, Yukon
Selected from the 42 properties proposed by Canadians for inclusion on Canada’s Tentative List for World Heritage Sites, these eight sites are joined by six others that remain from when the Tentative List was updated in 2004. Together, they represent a very diverse mix of Canada’s natural and cultural heritage.
(Photo: Sirmilik National Park, Nunavut / Parks Canada)